The trumpet is one of the most exciting instruments in the band. It can add a unique flair to any musical piece. Its bright tone and strong projection make it perfect for upbeat, high-energy music.
Trumpets are used in all styles of music including jazz, classical, and popular. It is a brass instrument and contains the highest register in the brass family.
How Do You Play the Trumpet?
To produce sound on a trumpet, the player makes a buzzing sound by blowing through closed lips. This sound is amplified by the mouthpiece, creating a sound wave that carries through the tubing of the trumpet and out its bell. The player changes the pitch of the sound by pressing the three valves in various combinations, in effect changing the length of the tubing the air flows through.
Both boys and girls play the trumpet. It's not a difficult instrument to learn with some practice.
Before you start playing, it is important in oil your valves. Upon finishing, the most important thing is to get all of the moisture out of your trumpet. You also need to polish your trumpet with a polish cloth, as fingerprints can cause your instrument to tarnish. Wash your trumpet every several months with warm water and a mild dish soap to keep it clean, sanitary, and working well.
For more detailed instructions on how to properly care for you trumpet, visit our Trumpet Care page.
Here's an example of trumpet music:
The trumpet soloist is Melissa Venema, age 13, playing Taps in its entirety.
Click here to see more trumpet performances and some trumpet tips and tricks.
Why Play Trumpet?
Trumpet is a popular instrument in the band. Here are some of the reasons:
- The trumpet has a big bright sound that often plays the lead, especially in high energy music.
- Trumpet can play all types of music from classical to rock, pop, and soul, to religious, country and everything in between. There's almost no style of music that doesn't use trumpets.
- It isn't hard to play. You can play the basic notes in a day or two and play some popular songs within a couple of weeks.
- The trumpet isn't a big instrument. It can be easily carried.
- You can form groups of players of almost any size to play together.
- Lots of great music is written for trumpet.
- Trumpets look great, especially when the trumpet players stand up and take the lead.
Select Your Trumpet
We offer a variety of trumpets both for sale and for rent. Our knowledgeable staff will help you find the perfect trumpet for you, whether you are a beginner or seasoned pro. Have questions about playing trumpet? Contact Amro's trumpet experts. We are ready and willing to help!